Surgical Site Infection (SSI) reduction continues through the wwwelopment and ongoing coordination of the Tennessee Surgical Quality Collaborative (TSQC). TSQC provides important relationships with surgeon champions and foundational work for addressing surgical site infections and promoting the enhanced colon SSI prevention bundle. This bundle focuses on four measure recommendations focused on normothermia, normoglycemia, antibiotic use, and supplemental oxygen. Due to the sustained efforts of surgeons statewide performing hysterectomy procedures, low rates of infection continue. Best practices around hysterectomy procedures are shared by successful hospitals.
Articles of Interest
- Cima R, Colorectal Surgery Surgical Site infection Reduction Program: A National Surgical Quality Improvement Program-driven Multidisciplinary Single-Institution Experience. J Am Coll Surg. 2013:216:23-33
- Lutfiyya, W; Parsons,D; Breen,J A Colorectal “Care Bundle” to Reduce Surgical Site Infections in Colorectal Surgeries: A Single Center Experience. PermJ 2012 Summer; 16(3) 10-13
- Wick, et. al. Implementation of a Surgical Comprehensive Unit-Based Safety Program to Reduce Surgical Site Infections J Am Coll Surg 2012;215:193-200
- Bull A, Wilson J, Worth LJ, Stuart RL, Gillespie E, Waxman B, Shearer W, Richards M. A bundle of care to reduce colorectal surgical infections: an Australian experience. J Hosp Infect. 2011 Aug;78(4):297-301. Epub 2011 Jun 12. PubMed PMID: 21664720.
- Qadan M, Akça O, Mahid SS, Hornung CA, Polk HC Jr. Perioperative supplemental oxygen therapy and surgical site infection: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Surg. 2009 Apr;144(4):359-66; discussion 366-7. Review. PubMed PMID: 19380650.
- Kurz A, Sessler D, Lenhardt R Perioperative normothermia to reduce the incidence of surgical-wound infection and shorten hospitalization. NEJM 334(19): 1209-1215. 10.1056/NEJM199605093341901.
- Akhtar, S; Barash, PG; Inzucchi, SE Scientific Principles and Clinical Implications of Perioperative Glucose Regulation and Control. Anesthesia and Analgesia, 110(2): 478-497. 10.1213/ANE.0b013e3181c6be63.
- Bratzler DW Antimicrobial prophylaxis for surgery: an advisory statement from the National Surgical Infection Prevention Project. Clin Infect Dis. 38(12):1706-15. Epub 2004 May 26. PMID: 15227616.